Friday, December 13, 2019

Game On, Breast Cancer!

Game on, Breast Cancer!



One week ago today I learned I was that 1 woman in 8 who develops breast cancer.  It has been a surreal experience, initially tinged with fear, denial and anger but ultimately I have come to feel a deeper sense of gratitude and relief that the diagnosis is a curable one with a very positive prognosis. It has been an incredibly amazing experience to feel the support and concern of so many people from all phases of my life.  I am especially blessed to have a wonderful husband who has made it clear that he is by my side for the duration (as much as I know how  squeamish he is about anything medical...he has been a true hero through this!❤️)

Today we met with my surgeon, Dr. Teller at the Maine Breast Care Center.  She immediately put us at ease and then spent nearly 90 minutes going over my case in the greatest detail, explaining in terms that were neither beyond our comprehension nor condescending.  She struck the perfect note of optimism and pragmatism. It was clear she is going to see this through to a successful outcome.

My cancer(s) are two separate tumors in the left breast, both stage 1 (early) and grade 1 (slower growing).  They are "fed" by hormones (estrogen primarily but also progesterone) which will be an important factor in my long term treatment and recurrence prevention.  They are small (each under 1cm) and it appears there has been no spread into the lymph system.  All of this is good news for treatment.

My first step will be an MRI next week.  Dr. Teller will use that to determine the exact structure in a 3D sense of the tumors and, since both breasts will be imaged, to ensure that there is no evidence in the right breast.  Assuming all is as it appears at this point, I will undergo a lumpectomy (or partial mastectomy) in early January to remove the cancerous areas.  She will use a radiotracer dye to identify the lymph node(s) that could potentially have received any cancer cells from the tumors and remove them for biopsy.  These are called Sentinel nodes because of their proximity to the cancerous site.

One month after the surgery I will begin radiation treatment on the areas where the cancer was removed.  I will go in Monday through Friday for three weeks to receive a short concentrated dose of radiation to the sites.  I will also begin taking a hormone blockade drug (along the lines of tamoxifin or another estrogen inhibitor) for five years to suppress hormone levels and deter a recurrence in either breast.

It was a lot to absorb in our meeting but Brendan and I both left with a clearer sense of what we are up against.

I can't say enough positive about the Maine Breast Care Center and every single member of the staff we dealt with.  Special thanks go to Karen Phelps, the Nurse Practitioner I first met with last week.  Very much as Dr. Teller did, Karen took the time to explain the biopsy procedure, do followup and answer my (MANY) questions.  The biopsy staff, Meredith, Theresa and Dr. Cox were gentle, relaxed and genuinely concerned with my comfort level during this procedure.  And Amy Boyington, my Patient Navigator has done a wonderful job of steering us through this maze of information and procedures.  How lucky we are to have such a terrific resource in our area. The facility is beautiful, filled with art, plants, natural light and, most importantly, people who seem passionate about their work and the patients they assist.

So, the journey has begun.  It feels good to have a plan of action, even if it ends up getting tweaked here and there. And I anticipate there will be a few potholes and maybe a detour along the way. But the important thing is that my goal of a cure looms ahead awaiting my arrival, whenever that may be.
And I draw no small amount of hope and energy from the amazing amount of support from so many people around me.  Thank you all for being there for me during this sudden and terrifying turn of events.  Your calls, emails, cards, phone calls, Facebook responses and in-person conversations have kept my spirits high.  Laughter feels so good (and boosts those magical endorphins) so let's keep THAT coming!  

Cancer sucks...but it ain't gonna beat me, no way!  And, Gals, don't forget to make that appointment for YOUR mammogram.  A five minute boob-squeeze could save your life!

No comments: