Saturday, January 11, 2020

This Thing is About to Get REAL!

This Thing is About to Get REAL!



A flurry of emails and phone calls yesterday and the surgery has been scheduled.  Pre-op appointment is next Wednesday, January 15th and the big event is Tuesday the 21st.  I feel a mixture of relief, apprehension and strengthened resolve.  It is the beginning of a tough fight, one I am determined to win but one I realize will not be without pain and discomfort. I can handle pain.  After all I did once push a giant baby out of an impossibly small space. And pain isn't a bad thing if it leads to my goal of becoming cancer-free...something that WILL happen!  

The last few weeks have gifted me with an army of supporters from all over my life. A special group bear hug goes to the women I shared so many experiences with as an Alpha Sigma sorority sister in college.  The passing years have done nothing but strengthen that amazing bond!!  You gals ROCK!   The emojis have been flying fast and furious: hearts, thumbs-up, praying hands, kissing smiley faces, clapping hands, strong arms, ok signs, gifs and so much more:  each one adding to my arsenal of confidence.  Thank you all for everything: the cards, letters, calls, gifts, messages! If I had to sum up the gist of them all in three words they would be: You've Got This!  The power of that sentiment cannot be underestimated.  You all believe in me so what choice do I have but to kick cancer's butt in spades?  I won't let you down, promise with a pinky-swear thrown in!

So what exactly will this process look like?  My pre-op appointment will be with Karen, the Nurse Practitioner who has overseen my case from the beginning, coordinating the biopsy and followup MRI's and Ultrasounds.  She will give me an extensive set of instructions for the surgery: what to wear, food and drink intake, etc.  She will explain the procedure and answer questions. ("Can I wear my cuddly slipper socks into the cold operating room?") I do know that my morning coffee will have to be dairy free (bummer) but that I can continue with clear liquids until four hours before surgery. I wonder if that includes vodka, gin and tequila.  OK, I'm kidding...kind of.

Surgery day they will first implant a radioactive seed in my left breast, a dystopian sounding process to assist in locating the tumors and sentinel lymph node(s).  [I've been binge-watching "The Handmaids Tale" so dystopian themes are running rampant in my imagination.]  Two hours later I will take a short trip to the Outpatient surgery Center and there Dr. Teller will perform a lumpectomy (also called a partial mastectomy) to remove the two cancerous tumors.  She will  inject a blue dye which will follow the radioactive seed to determine the sentinel node(s) which will then be removed and biopsied to determine if the cancer has made a break for it and headed out of the breast.  If all this weren't happening to me, I would think it was pretty cool stuff...actually I still do think it is.  I am so glad the technology is available in this battle!

I will come home the same day, probably a little goofy (more so than usual) with strict instructions to rest up and let Brendan wait on me hand and foot.  The following week I will go back to see Karen, the NP for a post-op visit and then we wait for the radiation which will start one month after surgery.

Radiation will take place every weekday (M-F) for three weeks. It will entail a short visit each time and a blast of radiation directed specifically at the site of the now-banished tumors to ensure all the nasty stuff is gone. Side effects may be fatigue and some reddening of the skin in the area.  Some women experience short term nausea and hair loss.  I confess that, being a child of the 50's, the term radiation always makes me think "glow-in-the-dark" kinds of effects. But Karen assured me that I won't become a walking nightlight. (Phew!) That would really spoil my chances of being able to play hide-and-seek with Liam, my grandson, when he gets older!  It would, however, come in handy walking the dog at night.  No flashlight necessary and a chance to freak out passing drivers!

The final (I hope) step in this process is a daily dose of a hormone inhibitor to decrease estrogen/progesterone production which fuels the type of tumors I have.  I will likely be on that pill for five years.  At that point, if there is no recurrence, I can be declared officially CANCER FREE. (YEE-HA!)

Many of you have asked if there is anything I need.  I am blessed with a husband who takes excellent care of me.  Additionally, Brendan is king of the kitchen, handling all of the shopping, cooking and cleanup.  SO, the short answer is no, I don't need anything.  If you feel compelled to do anything, consider a donation to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (bcrf.org) or the Susan G. Komen Foundation (Komen.org).  If you would rather donate to something non-cancer related, my happy place is the Maine State Society for Protection of Animals, a horse shelter where I volunteer which houses 35-40 seized and surrendered horses (MSSPA.org)

I have AmazonPrime, Netflix and Hulu so if you have a favorite binge-able series, let me know.  Also, if you have recently read a book that you are dying to share, pass that along too.  I anticipate doing a lot of knitting, reading and watching movies in between naps until my house arrest recovery is over. 

Bless all of you for being in my corner for this fight.  I am beyond grateful for your friendship and continue to be blown away by your love and support.  Oh, and, girls, DON'T FORGET THOSE MAMMOGRAMS!!!!

No comments: