Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Heading into the tube...



The Oncotype DX results still aren't back.  Apparently, for genomic testing 🧬 the insurance company requires a "treatment plan" despite the fact that this test will be the only way that the doctors CAN determine a treatment plan.  Around and around in circles we go... Hopefully the situation will be resolved and we will have results within the next week.

MEANWHILE...my radiologist decided to go ahead with the preparations for Radiation Therapy on the assumption that I won't need chemo. (From his mouth to God's ears!)  So today we headed out to MMC Radiation Therapy for a "Simulation" where I was scanned and outfitted with three tattoos (three little dots...not the lightning bolts ⚡️⚡️I was hoping for 😜) to align me correctly for each of the 16 treatments I will undergo. Dr. Bristol and his three wonderful assistants positioned me in the "tube", a super high tech machine that will deliver the doses of radiation to the exact areas where the breast cancer occurred.  They had me practice holding my breath to inflate my lungs and distance the radiation as far as possible from my heart to avoid any possibility of damage.  Other than the fact that the room was freezing, it was an easy and comfortable  process. 

My first treatment is scheduled for next Wednesday, March 4 at 3:30. I will also get the full schedule of treatments. If, by some chance, the test results arrive before then and indicate the need for chemo, the radiation process will be put on hold until that is completed.  I will be meeting with Dr. Inhorn, my oncologist the day before to [hopefully] get my magic number which [🤞] signals no chemo and to discuss post-radiation hormone suppressants. 

If all goes as planned, I will finish Radiation on March 25 and life should become relatively normal thereafter.  I'll have some possible side effects to contend with such as fatigue and "sunburning" of the radiation site.  Given my tendency to burn easily [thank you Irish complexion!] I will have to be pretty aggressive with the treatment cream they will provide. I may also have to forego my bra to minimize irritation and wear soft, loose-fitting tops...a throwback to my hippie days!!✌🏻Maybe I can dig out some old tie-dyes ☮️.  How GROOVY would that be?  Ok, maybe not...

But things are moving along.  The surgery site has healed well, I continue to feel good and am still very optimistic that this adventure into the world of tests and tumors will be ending shortly, leaving me none the worse for wear.

I couldn't have endured the past four months without all of the amazing support that poured into my life.  Brendan deserves a medal for being my rock and staying by my side for every minute of this roller coaster ride.  Each step was a little easier thanks to family and friends and their "You've Got This" messages.  A special thanks to my many Alpha Sigma sorority sisters who have proved that 50 years is but a blink of an eye when "Friends, Friends, Friends we will always be"!  Each facebook message, get well card, lovely [or quirky] gift, email encouragement, phone call, visit or in person conversation kept me going and convinced me that this will soon be an episode for my lifetime rearview mirror. I love you all and can never adequately thank you for the difference you have made.

Keep those good thoughts coming...and don't forget to get those Mammograms, ladies!!  Early detection saves lives!!!  
  

No comments: