Monday, March 30, 2020

Ring That Bell!!

Sixteen treatments in the bag!  No more ill-fitting johnnies and wonky bathrobes, no more flying spaceships aiming laser beams at my chest, no more terrible daytime TV in the waiting room.  No more name, birthdate, area of treatment quizzes and gallons of hand sanitizer turning my hands into alligator skin. 

But, more importantly, no more nasty cancer cells sneaking through my body looking for an opportunity to make trouble.  We've nailed those bad guys once and for all!

I was so lucky to have a wonderful staff every day who were professional, compassionate and, dare I say it, fun!  We laughed at the absurdity of the situation, me clinging to the handlebars above my head while they rubber-banded my feet together to keep me from moving after they lined me up under the crosshairs of the radiation spitter-outer (a technical term, I'm sure).  

To further ensure the success of my treatments I invoked the spirit of  Wonder Woman.  Each day I put on my special slippers


and said a prayer that the radiation was hunting down those rascally cancer cells and destroying them completely.  For my final day, and the sublime experience of ringing the celebration bell, I decided to go full out,  busting out my Wonder Woman Halloween costume.  The staff seemed to enjoy the experience as much as I did.




Even the doctor who came in to do my final exam seemed impressed with my sartorial choice.  Before he checked me over he wanted me to model my cape.  I have a feeling he hasn't had too many patients show up in superhero garb for their radiology treatments.

SO...what's next?  Tomorrow I begin taking a little pill with a very big name.  Anastrozole will inhibit the production of estrogen and prevent cancer cells from using that to fuel their growth.  I can expect to be on that for five years with interim checkups, mammograms and blood tests.  My surgeon and oncologist will stay connected, monitoring my  progress closely.  Just let those nasty cancer cells TRY to make a comeback!  We'll be ready for them with guns a-blazing.

One chapter of this strange journey ends and it's on to the next one.  2020 has been a year of strangeness, and obviously not just for me.  The lessons of the past few months have been profound. I now cherish each day with a new sense of joy and anticipation. Nothing is guaranteed. Family and friends are the true jewels in our lives and need to be treasured. Worrying never changes tomorrow.  It only makes today miserable.

We are most certainly in uncharted territory as we wait to see the ultimate impact of this terrible scourge making its way to every corner of the world.  The only true weapons we have are common sense, a shared mission of compassion, and faith in the technological expertise of the medical community working so hard to get ahead of this crisis.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring...but let's make the most of today!!

(And remember to schedule those Mammograms once this craziness is over!!!)





   












1 comment:

Unknown said...

So happy your all done! You have a great attitude. My mom just got diagnosed with stage one breast cancer and I sent this to her. She shares your optimism and grit so we are very hopeful she will come out of the other side of this.
Xo, Brett