Sunday, April 16, 2006

In the beginning there was yarn, and it was good...

I have decided the time has come to join the blog movement. I love to write. I love to knit. I love to reveal the deepest darkest secrets of my life to perfect strangers. What better reasons could I have to start a blog. Lord knows I have so much free time on my hands... the house cleans itself, my job only takes up half of my waking hours, my family is so self-sufficient. (That last sentence was sarcasm, in case you were wondering) but still, the idea is intriguing.

So here goes, I love to knit and, having come into the knitting ranks at the relatively late age of 5o something, I seem to be working hard to make up for lost time. It is something that I try to do in almost every free moment. I find myself fantasizing about the next project even as I am just beginning the current one. And then there is the stash...

I started out with just a few skeins of yarn that I picked up at a distributor's sale. That was early in my knitting voyage and I watched incredulously as women knocked each other over to get to tables of yarn. They grabbed frantically and stuffed skeins of yarn in every possible carrying device. One woman kicked her toddler out of his stroller so she could pile it high with yarn. I shook my hea
d and wondered about their sanity, never dreaming that a matter of months later I would be in the front lines of that battalion. In those days all yarn was the same to me. Worsted, bulky, dk, fingering... it was all yarn. And I had no idea that acrylic and natural fibers could be any different. I was making scarves, the tricycle of the knitting process. Anything could be used to make a scarf and it didn't look half bad when you were done.

So much has happened in the last three years. Somewhere along the line I caught the bug and now my stash looks like this:



I don't remember buying a lot of that yarn and sadly, I don't remember what I planned to do with it. Much of it came from ebay and a "hot buy" I just couldn't pass up. Some more of it came from "Moonlight Madness" sales at AC Moore where I behaved like an out-of-control alcoholic... so sad. As I was going through the yarn to put in on the bed for the picture so many projects ran through my head. There are at least eight sweaters waiting to be made, as well as countless bags, socks, hats, mittens, scarves, and who knows what else. It's exciting to think about all of those projects but a little daunting at the same time.

Next entry: Where did it all start?


No comments: